View Single Post
Old 07-28-12, 08:10 PM
Don in Austin
Don from Austin Texas

Bikes: Schwinn S25 "department store crap" FS MTB, home-made CF 26" hybrid, CF road bike with straight bar, various wierd frankenbikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Digital_Cowboy
Yesterday while I was out riding I (like many here) encountered an overly courteous driver, i.e. a driver who even though they arrived at an interpretation well in advance of my reaching it. They attempted to wave me through the intersection.

The driver actually got upset with me for not accepting his courtesy and going through the intersection first. I tried to explain to him, as best as I could across the the street. That he had the right of way and shouldn't "surrender" it. That's when he said that he was trying to be courteous.

I (as I am sure most here are/would be) appreciated the sentiment of his gesture. But we as cyclists understand the "hidden" danger of such a gesture, i.e. there could be a car on a "hidden" section of road that the cyclist doesn't see, and wouldn't likely see the cyclist.

It took a few more seconds than required for him to proceed, i.e. he would have been through the intersection before I reached it.

So while I (like everyone here) appreciate the gesture, I just wish that they would treat us like any other vehicle on the road.
This situation can, indeed, be annoying. But I try to save my rage for those who are malicious as opposed to well-intended but misguided. Next time, put both feet down and pull out your water bottle.

Don in Austin