View Single Post
Old 07-29-12, 04:38 AM
chefisaac

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Paceline People

I admit, I love pacelines. I LOVE the team work, camaraderie, speed, distance, etc. There is a a lot of advantages to a paceline. It does take a lot of skill to ride in one.... no overlapping tires, etc.

Went on a 50 miler with a group of 40 people yesterday and naturally, the group broke up into a few more groups. One we were in for the first 23 miles or so was ok. Some tried to ride in a paceline. Now see, the only reason a paceline really works is if everyone works together. A lot went on in this first 23 miles. Will save you the story but the sucky part was that the people in front were yo-yoing which made it very hard to stay at a solid pace.

Some tips I have learned:

- Dont overlap tires
-if you are pulling, no drops and no arrow bars
- if you are pulling, NO SURGING or yo-yoing. Keep at the correct pace. If you dont, it causes the group to speed up, the last person in the line might get dropped. If you go so, you cause a yoyo effect and everyone hits their brakes.
- if you feel tired at all and are pulling, GET THE HECK OFF THE FRONT. Again, paceline is a TEAM effort.

Case in point: after the second stop, Paisan, myself, Nadja and another guy we picked up. started a paceline. Short pulls and fast. No surging happened, no yoyoing either. Rock solid paceline.

If you enter into a paceline, please remember these tips. It will really make it a negative experience for all and if followed, it will be a great ride.

Two other tips:

1- When you are the person behind the pull rider and they drop off, just keep the pace you are riding. No speed creep.
2- If you are the pull person and it is time for you to pull off, pull to the left, stop pedaling and start pedaling when half of the line passes you.

and I lied:

tip 3- Avoid eating or drinking when pulling!
tip 4: When pulling, you are responsible for the people behind you. Watch out!
tip 5: When your the back person in the line, after a turn or hill, yell "all on" so the pull guy knows.
tip 6: If the paceline needs to turn, the back rider in the line should look back and communicate up.

That is all!