Old 07-29-12, 08:16 PM
Bacciagalupe
Professional Fuss-Budget

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Jed19
Did you guys see with yesterday's Olympic road race how a "no radio" policy can make for an exciting bicycle race.
The lack of race radios isn't why the breaks succeeded. The peloton knew that 20+ men were off the front by less than 2 minutes.

The reason why the break succeeded in this year's Olympic road race is because a 5-man team isn't powerful enough to control the race, and the other sprinter teams (e.g. Germany, Belgium) didn't want to help GB set up Cav.

I say the UCI should ban the friggin team radios.
Yes, I'm sure it will be much safer to have the DS driving right next to the riders and screaming at them.

We are gonna keep having unexciting races as long as DS can shout locations, encouragements etc into their team members' ears.
Did you really not notice how many breaks went off the front in the last week or so of this year's TdF?

Can you assert, with a straight face, that every exciting stage in every pro race since the late 90s has been boring? Were most of the people who kvetch about "zomg race radio boring" actually watching races in the 60s, 70s and 80s?

Considering that there was no real time Internet updates, and TV coverage was basically a few hours of highlights on the weekends, I'm calling "whatever" on proclamations that racing has "gotten boring" due to race radios, or that getting rid of them will fix anything.