Old 08-01-12, 10:05 AM
TomD77

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by qcpmsame
Tom,
Where do you find the "Combined value" use? I use the NOAA standard heat index chart for work and my riding. I can see the ease of a comparison of combined values, just never heard of using this number.

Click on the chart for a visible, readable sized chart.

Bill
It is, shall we say, unofficial. ;-) Never heard of it myself until a week or two back when someone on this forum made mention that when the value of heat + humidity got into the 150's, things were getting oppressive. I remember thinking that for several months a year it rarely gets DOWN to the 150's here.

Just got back from a 30 mile and just got out of the shower. It was within tolerance level as long as I was moving and stopped every 6-7 miles to wring out my headband to keep the sweat from running through my eyes. Buy I have a 600 foot long white sand driveway that I have to walk because no way will my 25mm tires roll over that. Thought I was going to melt into a puddle of bubbling viscous liquid during that 2 minute walk.

The dewpoint here is 81 degrees, on to quote Bikey Mikey's chart above: "Severely high. Even deadly for asthma related illnesses". Or from the Weather Channel: "Dangerous heat index. Limit outdoor exposure." Whee! Does that include biking?