Old 08-02-12, 12:50 AM
chasm54
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Talldog
Wiggo is completely classless in comparison to Cancellara. The difference in their post race interviews was striking. Cancellara was a class act and Wiggins was ... well, just Wiggins. Personally, I like to root for guys with Cancellara's class. Wiggins is a disappointment from a fan's perspective.
The hostility to Wiggins on these boards is quite striking. I wonder if something is lost in translation across the Atlantic? Wiggins' deliberately understated, laconic and determinedly unimpressed style goes down very well over here. Disrespectful? We tend to see it as an avoidance of hubris, and a pretty grounded rejection of all the hype.

As for doping, I'm the last to be overconfident about who is clean and who isn't. But Wiggins has been one of the best-ever pursuiters on the track, the size of his engine can't be in doubt. He is no better now than Martin was at last year's worlds, or Cancellara the year before. I don't recall everyone saying they must be doping. And as for Froome, it's almost a year now since he beat both Wiggins and Cancellara in the TT at the Vuelta. These guys aren't doing anything that is markedly superior to what they have done before. I'll keep an open mind.