Old 08-02-12, 01:55 PM
ThatChap

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On a previous bike, I rode it for a few weeks then removed the crank arm. Rode for a few months - it was harder. Rode for another few months, I had to cut the cranks off.

Yes, I could just about feel a faint click when reversing the direction of the crank extractor. I gingerly screwed it in but when it requires a spanner, things get hairy.

However, I have now replaced the cartridge. In doing so, I have completely destroyed the right crank arms threads - they're baby's bum smooth. The next time I need to remove it, I will need to cut it off. If I get another 6 months out of it, I'll happily replace it with something better - I'm thinking Shimano Octalink which seems like a more sensible technology. If they still sold cotter pinned arms I'd buy them in a heartbeat.

The new crank makes a big difference, there was a problem with the bearings in the old one I suppose. There is still some drumming from the freewheel. I'll need to replace the 17 tooth BMX-style freewheel. Until I buy something like this (amazingly cheap), I will go full ****** i.e. I've flipped the back wheel to the fixed cog. I've got a few steep hills on my run so this may well kill me. I'll leave this thread open to further document my escapades with the freewheel.

Also, there is a bit of slack in the chain which is noticeable using a fixed cog. Adjusting the rear horizontal drop-out screws scares me, as it's difficult to judge the 'trueness' of the wheel. I'm wondering if I should leave it as is for a few days before I receive the new freewheel or tighten the chain now.