Old 08-02-12, 04:20 PM
cyclotoine

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by KonAaron Snake
I'm no structural engineer, but my understanding is that while aluminum is much lighter than steel...once you add in its flexibility, and that it's weaker, it ends up pretty much the same weight. Most aluminum frames aren't really lighter than most steel ones.
Compare apples to apples and that is simply not true.

A high end aluminum frame is easily lighter, especially when were are talking lugged steel.

The Cannondale CAAD 10 claims 1050 grams, a cinelli XCR claims 1420g. Good luck getting a steel frame that is less than a pound heavier than a good aluminum frame for less $ than the aluminum one. Then there is the fork issue, unless you get real lucky and find a used steel RACING frame with a 1-1/8" head tube you are limited to a $400+ Easton fork to get something comparable to the high end carbons ones coming on a top tear aluminum frame today. I would say to spend the same price on a steel build as a comparable off the shelf aluminum you are at least 2 lbs heavier.

A comparable steel frame to your Kona is say a surly cross check, I bet the surly is a 3 lbs heavier frameset.