View Single Post
Old 08-03-12, 03:53 AM
epiking

Bikes: '86 Miyata 1000, '85 Raleigh Elkhorn (retired), 2000 Specializer HardRock

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice discussion on gearing for clydes. I recently began cycling for fitness after a lenghty hiatus. Hauled out my old vintage MTB (Hybridized). I wound up replacing freewheel and the outer two chainrings of a triple due to wear (chain/cog skipping). I got to pick the gearing I wanted based on the gear range I use the most. I went from 50-44-30 to 44-38-30 in the front. In the rear I went from a 14-34 to a 14-28. I lost a little at both ends but I like the closer ratios for fine tuning cadence. Cadence is important to me as I have had knee issues in the past (not from cycling). I certainly do not do hill climbing like some in earlier posts, but I do live near the base of "South Moutain" (Phoenix), so every ride I do either starts or finishes whith some form of climb . Albeit mostly a mild climb, it still represents a signifigant change in work load at my mass. Of course I still miss the the 34 in the rear when my route takes me into a more direct attack of the mountain, but I am hoping continued weight loss will help on that issue.

Spin out
Eking