View Single Post
Old 08-09-05, 08:49 PM
djf1963

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
After a long absence from mountain biking, I want to get back in it - but I have two problems.

First, I'm dirt poor. I'm talking macaroni-cheese eatin', paycheck-to-paycheck livin', so-broke-i-can't-pay-attention, PO'. PO', as in, I can't even afford the last the last two letters of the word "poor".

Second, I want to buy a decent mountain bike with a US-made frame in the 5-600 dollar range (I've managed to save 6 bills by eating mac and cheese for the last year).

I'll wait while y'all stop laughing.

Everyone done now? Ok, moving on. I guess I should say at the outset I'm not really interested in debate over Chinese bikes or outsourcing or anything like that - I've owned asian bikes before - some were ok, some sucked. I just decided I want my next bike to have a US-made frame. With that in mind, my research leads me to the conclusion that I have a very easy choice. After weeks of pouring over bike reviews and different websites, along with visits to my LBS, it appears that there is ONE and only one bike that fits my price range/frame requirements - the Cannondale F300, which is at my LBS for $549. Am I correct in this conclusion, or does anyone know of any other mountain bikes with US-made frames in the $5-600 range? I'd certainly like to have a wider choice than ONE bike, if possible.

I do like the F300....I looked at one this afternoon. Seems solid - easy to upgrade down the road if I choose. Will be riding the bike on local trails evenings and weekends - trails range from mild to moderate....nothing outrageous.

So is the F300 it? No other choices? Anyone own an F300? Comments? Any advice or suggestions would appreciated!

DJ