Old 08-05-12, 05:00 PM
cnnrmccloskey

Bikes: '82 Giante super challange, 70 Gitane Tour de France, GT Gutterball

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Amesja
ISIS and Octolink are no real improvement on Square-Taper. Just because they are "newer" doesn't make them better. In fact, there are serious issues with them that caused the manufactures to quickly move onto modern 2-piece cranks. They were an "interim technology" that fits between the end of internal bearing BB's and external. Anyhow, the extraction method for ISIS and Octo is exactly the same as ST anyhow -even the tool is the same usually. Most good tools do all of these types, ST/Octo/ISIS.

The issue was either a damaged or very cheap crankset with bad threads or ham-handedness in threading the tool in on the part of the operator. I've got my own theories...

I've taken off a hundred cranks using such an extractor and never had an issue even remotely like yours. I've taken off at least as many cottered cranks and rarely had an issue with them unless they were extremely worn. Some of them when allowed to get really loose, can be a bear to exract the cotter once it has had a chance to wear and pinch.

It's mostly the tools, and partly knowing how to use them (especially knowing when to use which tool where.)
Was this directed to me?
I'm not saying any of the splined interfaces are superior to square taper but it is completely feasible to use any of the interfaces on a fixed gear or single speed cycle, Dura ace and Sram Omnium track cranks are two of the top choices available for track racing and both have moved past square taper I realize Omniums are two piece but Dura Ace still uses octalink (in fact I run 7700 cranks on my fixed gear and they work great)