Old 08-05-12, 08:24 PM
Amesja
Cottered Crank

Bikes: 1954 Raleigh Sports 1974 Raleigh Competition 1969 Raleigh Twenty 1964 Raleigh LTD-3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by AlphaDogg
You said you wanted to upgrade away from your current square taper, and I stated that I don't think it's worth it/cost effective to upgrade to a different technology (though isis/octolink rely on the same compression concept, and hollowtech 2 is really the only thing that eliminates the need for threaded crank pullers)
+1

Octo an ISIS are really no different than Square-taper really other than the shape. Maybe a little better at grabbing the crank, so it doesn't need to be very tapered at all. But it's basically the same concept. The issue the OP is having with the threads would still be there. The crank remover works the same way and is really the same crank remover 95% of the time anyhow. I remove the ISIS cranks on my Competition using the same crank remover that I have pulled off a hundred other square-taper cranks. And they are a tiny portable removal tool too.

The Park CWP-7C Compact crank removal tool.

[TABLE="class: productImageGrid, width: 280, align: left"]
[TR]
[TD="width: 100%"][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="width: 100%"][TABLE="class: productImageGrid, width: 100%"]
[TR]
[TD="width: 100%"][TABLE="width: 300"]
[TR]
[TD="width: 300"]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: tiny"]
See larger image [/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[/TR]
[TR]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

[h=1]Park Tool Compact Crank Puller[/h]by Park Tool
4.8 out of 5 stars See all reviews (28 customer reviews) |

Park Tool crank pullers can easily remove even the tightest cranks.
  • Features a rotating tip pressed into each end of the tool (11.3mm and 16.3mm) so it will remove both square taper and splined (ISIS Drive, Octalink) crank arms
  • Made for the 22 x 1mm threading in the common cranks
  • Rotating tips pressed into each end of the tool (11.3mm and 16.3mm) to remove both square and splined crank arms