Old 08-06-12, 05:46 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
The article covers some things and... I had the opportunity to get to know the Team GB mechanic at masters track worlds in 2010. The USA was next to GB and much like GB trying to colonize the USA, GB did not have enough room and occupied some of our space. USA and GB were next to each other. In talking with the coach / mechanic, he was constanly fretting over details.

He pointed out to me that the bearings in my HED trispoke with total S1ht and fixed them with some super secret spray. He claimed the only bearings to use were ceramic from Sweden and the Asian ceramic bearings were total s1ht. He claimed he had done SRM power meter testing and typically improved bikes by 10 to 15 watts by "correct" drive train and bearings.

It is not so relevant if the numbers are true but he believed them and claimed they were supported by his own testing.

High quality ceramic bearings are uber expensive. And most racers and coaches will think that one has more money than brains if you start to make purchases that yield a couple of watts for several hundred dollars. However, if one finds enough incremental watt savings and is willing to pay up for it, then it may add up to a competitive advantage. Especially, if the competition is satisfied with business as usual.

However, that does not explain the constant increase in WR per race. Every time GB does team pursuit they set a new WR. And the execution is flawless. Typically, when one is nearing a record, execution gets a little ragged. GB looks good every time. It looks like they have something left in the tank.