Old 08-07-12, 09:21 AM
Bulbuzoe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What to upgrade on my bike

Hey guys!

So, I have this old Niji Caravelle bike I bought a few months ago that I use daily (use it to go to school and in town, about 11 kms from home on a non-flat road in 20 mins) and really like it.
I didn't upgrade the bike so much yet, changed the tires, added a rack for my stuff and fenders today (no more dirt!), total 80$ (30 for the bike, 30 for the tires, 10 for the foot holder and 10 for the fenders)
I would like to change other thing in order to enhance the performances of the ride, but I don't really know what to do, I surfed on the Internet, but didn't really found specific things so it's still vague to me (I'm quite new to this world tbh)

What I'd like to know is, what do you think would be the most benefic parts to change in order to have a more performant or maybe even comfortable bike? Here are the specs of the bicycle

It is a Niji Caravelle (haven't found any infos about that on Internet, you can try, it's like impossible so I don't know anything about it lol)
27" steel wheels, 27x1 1/4 tires of the brand Bontrager (just random tires I found for 15$/each at a local store)
Stem mounted shifters are Shimano
Rear derailleur is a Shimano SIS hanging around in my house, I think I have also a Shimano Altus but don't know which is better
Middle is a Shimano Altus
The teeths of the cassette and middle disks aren't straight and some are shorter, perhaps because of the old messed up chain that was on him, changed for an "ok" used chain hanging around in my house. I also have a new basic Supercycle chain, but I don't want to place it because I don't want to scrap it with those teeths
Breaks aren't really effective

Here are a few pictures:

Considering I don't have a big deal of money to spend on it, what do you consider being the "most important" component to change?
I was thinking about the tires, for example taking the best low priced 27 inch tires on Internet, perhaps a little less large(1" or 1" 1/8), would that help out? Or it doesn't change so much? Also, the the air chamber inside have an impact on the bike?
Maybe the chain also, but don't know what are the best low-priced models/brands and if that actually is important.

And on a more aesthetic note, suggestion on what colors could I modify to make it nicer?
I thought maybe a brown handlebar and black tires with tan sides

Thanks a lot!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Vélo.jpg (109.6 KB, 76 views)
Cassette.jpg (104.2 KB, 45 views)
Derrailleur arriere.jpg (108.1 KB, 36 views)
Guidon.jpg (104.9 KB, 40 views)
Roue.jpg (108.1 KB, 30 views)

Last edited by Bulbuzoe; 08-07-12 at 09:25 AM.