Old 08-07-12, 02:20 PM
sstorkel

Bikes: Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Schwinn Typhoon, Nashbar touring, custom steel MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by szewczykm
When I first rode the bike after getting the spoke replaced, there was an audible "tang" from the rear wheel at first. I thought it was probably normal. A new spoke seating itself or something. I think that had the spoke been replaced and all of the spokes re-tensioned and seated (pre-loaded?) that I wouldn't have broken the next spoke.
That twang is a sign that the person who repaired your wheel didn't do it properly. You usually hear that sound when a wheel hasn't been properly stress-relieved.

If you don't want to do your own wheel maintenance, and I can certainly understand if you didn't, it wouldn't be a bad idea to find a shop with a more competent wheel builder. Wheel building is one of those things that's a bit of an art. Getting it right takes time and/or talent. If your shop mechanic doesn't build wheels on a regular basis, or if he's getting pressure from the boss to move through jobs quickly, your wheel might not have received the attention it needed...