View Single Post
Old 08-07-12, 04:52 PM
Peugeotlover

Bikes: '72 Peugeot PX-10; '74 Raleigh International; '87 Specialized RockHopper; '88 Specialized StumpJumper; '02 Cannondale Scalpel

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Peugeot PX-10 particulars

Three new images:

(1) The first is the manner that Peugeot, or the frame maker, attached the I.D. number-plate to the bottom of the crank/ bottom bracket. Notice two rivets and then the 7 digits punched onto a polished aluminum plate. This is correct and original. This is what you want to look for when considering the purchase of such a bike.

(2) The second image shows the chain stays, and vicinity. The seat and chain stays both are tapered. Then, the chain stays have 3 dimples: two of them longer opposing dimples which would accomodate a wider tire, and then the third shorter dimple next to the chain wheel. This allows the chainrings to fit close to the chain stay, I doubt that it would accomodate a third chain ring- just not enough room there.

Components are: StrongLight crank, StrongLight 52 & 45 tooth chain rings, Lyotard pedals, AFA Christophe toe clips, Lupize white straps, and Simplex front derailleur.

(3) The third image shows the lugs at the head tube. Note how the lugs are different from the 1971 PX-10's shown earlier in this thread. Much less ornate, more simply designed.
The front lugs did come painted black, original paint shown.

The top tube has those three chrome rings that hold the rear brake sheathing. They are marked "SI", and have a tiny chromed bolt and nut to tighten them down.

The numerous times I have had to shoulder-carry this bike after a flat or wreck, those little chrome bolts dug into my shoulder. You kinda want to balance the bike between the rings, when forced to carry it.

The shifter levers are original black coated vinyl-like Simplex, have tiny tightening wing nuts on the outside.

You can barely see a 'tire saver' attached to the brake caliper rear nut. Those things cost me $1.50/ each- now they are 2 for $20. They 'sing' ever so slightly, disturbing dogs behind fences and on leashes- but they save your tubular tires by knocking out glass, sharp debris.
I wouldn't ride without them on tubulars.

I just mounted my new Reynolds 531 decals (all 3 of them) kindly provided by Cyclomondo in Australia. They look fantastic, are just like the French language originals, just a tad larger.
More pictures soon.
Thanks for looking.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
015.jpg (93.0 KB, 647 views)
001.jpg (98.9 KB, 642 views)
007.jpg (97.7 KB, 642 views)