View Single Post
Old 08-07-12, 05:50 PM
VeloBrox

Bikes: 1951 Armand Carlsen, 1969 DBS Deluxe, 1949 Diamant, 1978 DBS Winner Tandem, 1955 Herkules... to infinity and beyond!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Like many of you I participate in the vintage bike market as both a buyer and a seller. I regularly enter that wondrous knot of social ties that is the market, totally dependent on my fellow man. Scams, hypes and fads in other parts of the market affect me and my customers. Therefore I reserve the right to get irritated on what other people do with their property and their money.

In 2009 I saw heaps of nice 80s bikes destroyed to make mishappen fixies. Harder for me flip nice bikes. Then sellers started to tell me that they had seen their exact run-down UO-8 for "$3000 on eBay". Then nobody wanted to buy my pristine top-of-the-line 1963 Crescent since "it wasn't Italian". I'm not bitter. I just feel people should pay (and receive) what the bikes are actually worth, without all the hocus-pocus. The present state reminds me a bit of the stereo market before it collapsed in the late 90s. Tons of occultism there as well.