Old 08-07-12, 11:08 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
I actually found "The Bicycle Wheel" on my bookshelf tonight, so suddenly I"m interested in actually reading it and using it. Having said that the book was written back in 81 when rims were decidedly more noodly than they are today so is that advice still sound?
His method for arriving at correct absolute tension by tensioning and stress relieving until the wheel goes out of true in waves works for box section rims up to at least MA40 weight (often measured at 500g) with traditional spoke counts (32 and 36, perhaps 28) .

As noted it does not work for deep aero rims and low spoke counts where tension is limited by stress cracks in the spoke bed not the rim's elastic limit.

Brandt says "NO" to radial spokes even in the front. My wheels are Easton EA90SL and they're 24 radial in the front, 28 radial/2x in the back and they've been incredibly true and solid (but I banged into something and dinged the rim... now I'm a little concerned)
Classic hubs don't have enough material in the flanges to reliably work with radial lacing which has less material supporting the spokes than traditional near tangential patterns which also have much of the spoke tension going into compressive loading where adjacent leading and trailing spokes oppose each other.

Modern hubs are often rated for radial lacing although as a Clydestale that doesn't seem prudent.

Last edited by Drew Eckhardt; 08-08-12 at 11:14 AM.