Old 08-07-12, 11:09 PM
pacificcyclist

Bikes: 2012 Masi Speciale CX : 2013 Ghost 29er EBS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Machka
First Aid training has changed a lot since I first got it in 1990. Back then, we were practically doing minor surgery, setting bones, and all sorts of things. It was terrifying!

When I upgraded my training in about 2007, in Canada, I noticed the changes. Gone were the days of minor surgery etc. ... and in were the days of calling whatever your local emergency number and letting the professionals handle the situation. We were given training in CPR, of course, and some basic training in some other aspects of First Aid ... but we were definitely NOT meant to be doctors or paramedics.

When I upgraded my training about 3 months ago in Australia, there were even more changes. First of all CPR is all about chest compressions now, and only if the heart has stopped. No more breathing! (thank goodness) Secondly, when it comes to most other injuries, the line we were given was simply, call the emergency number (in Australia it is 000), assist the person to sit, lie, walk, etc as comfortably as possible (but don't force the person to hold their arm in a particular way, or split a leg or any of that stuff), and reassure the person that help is on the way. That's it. That's all the highest level of First Aid qualification is allowed to do. There are a few exceptions, like if a person was bleeding heavily you might want to try to stop the flow of blood.

No more spoons in the mouth if a person is having an epileptic fit, no more drilling holes in a persons trachea and inserting pen casings if they are having trouble breathing, no more fancy sling folding techniques, no more splints, etc. etc.

I do recommend taking a class. Especially if the last time you did any sort of First Aid class was some time ago ... it's a whole new world.

Oh, and another note ...

A couple people here have mentioned the emergency number 911. That's the emergency number in Canada and the US. It is not the emergency number in other countries. In Australia it is 000. In parts of Europe it is (if I am not mistaken) 112.

Since this is an international forum, and we don't know the nationality of the original poster, his/her emergency number could be something entirely different. And if you travel to other countries it may be a good idea to familiarise yourself with the emergency number.
I work in the fitness industry part time, so I always get the opportunity to retrain every year, plus my full time employer's requirement for me to keep updated OFA certification means I get to see what changes happens in differing aspects of first aid applications. CPR and AED, especially AED is big this year. Never seen so much examples and practise I had to do with an AED and the dummy. Chest compression is another thing, but wow was that a lot of work -- definitely need a tag team approach to keep someone from dying of cardiac arrest and the zapping with an AED (fun fun!). I mean, they need us to do compression with such a huge force that I fear I'm gonna break the little old lady's rib cage!

I personally can do more first aid than needed and had a few times treated soft tissue injuries and sprains with good results, but I only do this to close friends and relatives. I think our instructor emphasizes that due to issues of legality and safety, it's better that you do the bare minimum to sustain life while help is on the way.

I think the OP would benefit from basic first aid which can be completed in a day. Not need to take any more advance levels, because once you go into shock after you crash from your bike, there's really nothing you can do about it other than call the emergency line and cry for help.