View Single Post
Old 08-08-12, 09:49 PM
BarracksSi
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Bikes: Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by telebianchi
The downside is that the motion that you do on an elliptical is only going to make you a better elliptical user. It does not relate to anything I do outside of a gym.
That's why I can't stand ellipticals, either. I tried them to get some cardio without the pounding of running, and I swear they don't fit me and they make my limbs move funny (or maybe I'm just too uncoordinated).

If I'm stuck inside I would much rather use a spin cycle (NOT the funky LifeCycle style equipment), stair climber or treadmill (preferably one that can go to a 15 degree or more incline).
If it's so bad outside that I can't bike or run, and I still want to go outdoors, I'd invest in cross-country skiing.

There's so much more than can be done for cross training, and for a lot less money, that I would not spend a dime on an indoor cardio machine if I can help it.

Cross training should help you work on what you do the least. The bike is already helping you with cardio endurance and, depending on your rides, leg strength. What you're NOT getting from the bike is upper body strength, agility, and overall core stability. Even though an elliptical moves your whole body, it really doesn't do that much for you that the bike doesn't already do now. I'd say to spend your money elsewhere (that is, if you were planning on buying an elliptical to keep at home).