View Single Post
Old 08-12-12, 05:23 PM
mike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by wrk101
1. I would avoid cottered crank bikes, and bikes with the old plastic Simplex derailleurs. That eliminates a few of your choices.

2. Mixtes are uncommon, large mixtes are really rare. So you should verify quick whether a 56cm is the size you need. 90% + of the mixtes out there are smaller sized.

Now who knows if the 56cm Peugeot is the old cottered crank version? No pics. At $150, it will not last long regardless.

As far as what it costs to have a shop do a credible job of rehabbing a bike? It can easily cost your total budget ($220), if not more. Just another reason many of us do our own work. Its not that shops are ripping people off, they have overhead, taxes, benefits, rent, etc., to pay, they have to cover slow times, on and on. To manage costs on a bike, you need to be very resourceful.

On frame sizing, assume the sellers have it wrong. Around here, rarely do they get it right. This means chasing after some bikes that turn out to be too small or too big. Its part of the hassle of buying used.

Mixtes are a niche bike, that enjoy a hefty premium. I typically get 40 to 50% more for a mixte (to a comparably equipped road bike). At your budget point, I would not be looking at mixtes.
Great advice wrk101. I find the same thing here - most mixtes are smaller size.

The advice about avoiding cottered cranks is good too, but most of the mixtes I have found have cottered cranks. Let's face it, mixtes are old enough to need new grease everywhere - especially the bottom bracket. It takes real know-how and a whole lot of luck to remove an old cottered crank. If you do manage to get it off, the cotter pin is usually trashed. Good luck finding the right size cotter pin replacement at your LBS. Ya, they might have cotter pins, but if it isn't the exact correct size, it will forever be coming loose.

I also agree with fixing your own bicyles. Bike shops don't rip people off, but if you are going to ride a lot, then your bike will need repair. Even if you leave repair and maintanance 100% to your LBS, it will be cheaper than even the gas you put into your car, not to mention depreciation and maintanance. Basic bicycle maintanance is well within the grasp of most folks. $120 for tools. $10 for a used edition of "Everybody's Bike Book", and a $25 yard sale bike to cannibalize for parts and you will have all you need for maintaining and repairing your vintage bicycle.

Anyway, mixtes are an interesting design - a relic of it's time to be sure. I too am surprised how fast I can sell mixtes and for good money. They are definately good investments for resale - in today's market.

Last edited by mike; 08-12-12 at 05:30 PM.