View Single Post
Old 08-13-12, 06:38 AM
homechicken

Bikes: Trek Verve 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm soon to be 48 years old, 6 ft and 230 lbs. I've gained weight slowly but surely since I injured my back about 15 years ago. I was a whopping 185 lbs of pure lean muscle until then. To stack the cards against my weight problem even further, I quit smoking a little over a year ago and my weight, which had stabilized at about 210, shot up to 245. Doc said cholesterol needed to be lowered and I needed to get some form of exercise, which I hate. I can get exercise as a byproduct of doing something else like working in the yard all day, but just for its own sake I hate excerising. Anyway, I finally gave in and said, "OK, I'm not buying any more 'fat clothes'", so I started walking anywhere from 1 to 3 miles a day (usually at least 2 miles) 5 to 7 days a week and dropped 15 pounds in just a couple of months. I love walking at the park now, and its almost an exact 3 mile loop around the trail system, but to keep it from getting monotonous I decided to get a bike for the first time since I was a kid (I did have one briefly about ten years ago, but due to smoking I could hardly ride it a mile around our subdivision and it sat unused until I sold it a couple of years ago, so I don't count that bike). For the first time in my life I actually look forward to exercising. Seems like the more I do it, the more I want to. I still walk the majority of the time, but really enjoy the bike when I decide to take it for a spin and foresee it getting more use as my weak knees build up some strength and I can tackle hills more easily.

Last edited by homechicken; 08-14-12 at 05:00 AM.