Old 08-13-12, 11:03 AM
ScottRyder 
Photographer

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 53 Posts
Originally Posted by pcb
I'd say these are '72-'74ish, off a Fuji Finest, early Newest or Professional. I'm getting too sleepy to dig through catalogs, Scott R. may know without having to dig. Your close-up photos jarred loose a memory that there may have been a rear drive-side spoke breakage issue with those wheels, a combo of large-ish spoke holes and longish spoke j-bend. Fuji wasn't yet used to specing bikes for big Americans, and stuff that worked fine on the home market sometimes self-destructed over here.

Not sure if Miyata ever specd tubs on high-end race models, at any rate I think by the time they were a factor in the US it was later '70s and most high-end wheels had moved to small-flange hubs. We were briefly Panasonic dealers, if they had a tub'd bike it would have only been the highest-end race model, which we never sold.
PCB, you're right on the money with the Finest and Newest, I have seen an early Pro with the high flange hubs (in photos) but I don't believe they were spec'd that way. At least the catalog doesn't show it. Your right about the spoke breakage too but I've always heard that associated with the early S10-S/Special Road Racer rather the the upper end models.

I've got three sets of these rims/hubs, they ride great, no problem at all. Realestvin, if you need a place to store those just let me know!

Scott

IG @scottryder.surf.cycle
IG @scottryder.fine.art