View Single Post
Old 08-10-05, 08:10 PM
Puppypaws
primum non nocere

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was the neurological consultant on a case where the patient ultimately died due to Baycol causing breakdown of her muscles. It was horrible. The drug was pulled shortly after that. Thankfully, I've not seen any further tragedies of that magnitude from cholesterol drugs since Baycol was pulled. We believe that the lipid lowering drugs sometimes cause a disruption of the normal lipid membranes that our muscles are made of.

I do see folks for muscle pain with the cholesterol drugs. We always check the "CPK" to look for signs of muscle breakdown. Some of the cholesterol drugs have more of a problem, some less. Pravachol is felt to be one of the gentler medications when it comes to muscle problems. However, it is not always as effective for lowering the cholesterol.
I would talk to the prescribing doctor, have a CPK checked, and ask for a trial on pravachol. The doc would have to recheck your cholesterol to see if it was doing the job. There also are newer classes of lipid meds coming out. Good cardiologists, internists, and family practioners can advise well on these drugs.