View Single Post
Old 08-13-12, 02:12 PM
acoffin 

Bikes: 72 Lygie (SS conv), 87 Ironman Expert, 94 Allez Sport, 16 Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 4 Posts
I have to concur with Aaron. That is a beautiful looking bike, but they aren't actually that fun to ride. I have a yellow 74 with the leather brooks and fitted with creme Schwalbe Delta Cruisers, that I would like to sell. The thing is so darn pretty though.

On the other hand Oklahoma is so darn flat maybe the bikes weight and high gears won't be such an issue.

Originally Posted by KonAaron Snake
Lots of people will tell you yes, go for it...so I'll give you an opposing view.

There are two ways to judge a bike's value - it's value on the market and its value as a bike. On both counts - no, it's not worth it in my opinion.

In my area, a good bike selling area, Raleigh Sports top out at $200 with leather Brooks saddles, dyohubs, and even a bag. The desirable ones - the 40s - 50s ones - are hard to sell for $200. I think that's over priced by $100, though some folks here think they sell for more. That has not been my experience and they sit on Craigslist for anything over $150. This one doesn't even have a generator hub.

As a bike to ride, I also don't like it. It's needlessly heavy, has steel rims, crappy brakes...I don't think there's anything good about these bikes...other than durability. Lots of folks here like them...I don't understand it. You'd be much better off with a vintage MTB from a riding standpoint. By Raleigh 3 speed standards, I think that's pretty mediocre.