View Single Post
Old 08-14-12, 02:54 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4252 Post(s)
Liked 2,966 Times in 1,822 Posts
Originally Posted by GeorgeBMac
I sort of have the opposite problem -- I have road bike with drop bars and I want to get a hybrid -- but that is forcing me into a straight bar.

I road my friend's mountain bike again today and it was OK. But not my preference. I like the more forward lean I get with my hands on hoods but I never use the actual drops... I also like the ability to move my hands around a lot -- which is aided by the fact that the bars are completely uncluttered: the brake levers are at the end of the hoods and the shifters are on the downtube.

I was thinking that when/if I end up with a hybrid, I might at some add bar ends to it to simulate the flexibility of the drop bars...
Just get a cyclocross bike with the mounts for fenders and racks and you'll be good to go. Most people with drop bars don't actually spend much time in the drops. A cross bike with interupter levers will give you 2 positions (hoods and tops) with brake levers easily accessible and all the other hand positions are available even if you choose not to use them.