Old 08-15-12, 03:18 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
Originally Posted by Motman320
Alright, so I went on a ride just expecting to only be able to use the two smallest chain rings. Well it turns out I CAN use the third one, but I have to pedal slowly while holding the shifter all the way as far as it will go.

So I'm guessing it's only like 2-3mm off at most. I am really hoping someone at the bike shop can adjust it better than I did and I won't have to get a new FD just for 2mm...
If you have long enough chainring bolts, you might be able to use a washer between the carrier and the rings to move them a sufficient amount inboard.

Originally Posted by Motman320
... Also it's a fairly new bike and I've heard the cranks can come loose after the first couple hundred miles. Is this true?? Could tightening them possibly make up for those couple mm's???
If it's a square taper bb, there is theoretical possibility for some inboard creep. But the rest of the designs shouldn't offer that possibility.

Depending on what bb shell you have, and how finicky you are, it might be possible to remove one spacer from the driveside of the bb shell to shift the bb slightly inboard. It'll leave you with the NDS crank a little further outboard, which shouldn't be an issue IRL.