View Single Post
Old 08-15-12, 10:41 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,218 Times in 2,365 Posts
Originally Posted by lasauge
FOUR times this past week alone I've been riding around town and I've had drivers stop to ask me directions. My favorite one was when I was stopped a light waiting to go straight through, when a semi-truck pulled up in the right-hand turn lane and the driver hollered down to me from his cab to ask how to get the grocery store he was supposed to be delivering his load to...

Is this something common for other commuters? I suppose it makes sense to assume that cyclists will have a good idea about the areas they're riding through, and we're obviously more approachable than drivers sealed away in their cars, but it always surprises me a little when this kind of thing happens.
I've had people ask me for directions in Hot Springs, Arkansas; the Intervale in Burlington, VT; a lonely road in South Carolina; a busy road in North Carolina; single track trails all over Colorado; and, my favorite, by a trucker in the back and beyond eastern Washington. It happens all the time. With the exception of Colorado, I've never been to whatever area I'm being asked about before. I'm amazed at how often I can help in places where I've never been to.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!