View Single Post
Old 08-18-12, 01:51 PM
cheap_skate

Bikes: Downtube Nova

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all the replies and suggestions.

fstshrk: I have tried the Synapse and Roubaix in the past, will revisit them, but I remember them not feeling so great. Will check out a hybrid too.

bubbagrannygear+manutd: Cyclocross sounds like a good idea to explore. Thanks for the Sirrus suggestion. I used to have a Trek FX, but it was a hybrid not cyclocross.

thirdgenbird: soma looks great, but i'm really not looking to swap parts, etc.

1nterceptor: I am really glad that you have been riding your bike for 5/6 years without any major incident! Good for you. I also know plenty of people who have been riding bikes in NYC (including myself) for decades and have not suffered any major injuries. I really don't want to debate how safe it is to ride in the streets of NYC. And yes you are right, changing bikes won't guarantee anything, and yes safety is up to the rider for a large part. I don't have the hybrid any more, but I do have the folder.

UCIMBZ: I definitely want to move away from the CAAD 10 and not really interested in moving parts around and all that. The bike is too aggressive for my needs.

Jed19: Will look at mountain bikes as well without suspension fork.

pdedes: I had revisited my bike position prior to the accident (second injury) and had it fit in the least aggressive way. I was also keeping the pressure off my wrists, using my core, etc. after the first injury and had no further problems. Btw, I had an occult (hidden) ganglion cyst, around my ligaments - they are very painful and cannot be drained. They can only be removed by surgery. They are commonly a result of stresses over time, and yes biking specifically does not cause this. I should have mentioned that it was biking as well as other activities for me (martial arts, rock climbing, push-ups) and of course a bit of crap luck. My second injury had nothing to do with my wrist and is far far worse. I have essentially broken my elbow and while I know you seem like a tough guy with plenty of skill, experience and lack of fear (as I thought I was too!) I really hope something like this never happens to you. I've known first and second hand about many experienced bikers and triathletes with all the experience, fitness and courage in the world get badly injured. Yes nothing should stop them from recovering and getting back into it and working toward a higher goal, and I respect that, but I don't see anything wrong with some of us taking a step back to re-evaluate our risks and try our best to minimize injuries going forward, specially if I have no goal to race or compete at this sport, it is just purely recreational and casual for me. Thank you for pointing out the obvious that flying over the bars is possible on any bike, I am just trying to minimize that from happening in the event of a crash. And yes, I understand crashes cannot be avoided as well.