Old 08-20-12, 09:02 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18415 Post(s)
Liked 15,543 Times in 7,329 Posts
I Survived D2R2

http://www.franklinlandtrust.org/d2r2.html

Did the metric. When they say the route follows the "narrowest, oldest, twistiest, quietest, and most-scenic roads available," they mean it. Some of the roads were no more than Jeep tracks. The cue sheet for the 100K said 7,900' of climbing, and I believe it. Long stretches of double digit grades both up and down, often on rock-strewn dirt "roads." (Some were old carriage paths.) The final descending stretch had several areas that were washed out. I am already healing a broken collar bone and didn't want a matching pair so I picked my way down the hills. As a result, my average speed for the entire route was in the single digits. Most hard-core group of riders I have even seen in one place. Lots of fat-free bodies with bulging thighs. I don't remember catching up to anyone.

Most scenic ride I have done east of the Rockies. The final rest stop in Shelburne was at a hill-top orchard. You could see Mt. Monadnuck in New Hampshire. A couple who was 10 min. behind us on the first leg saw a mother bear and cub.

We were out on the road for 9 hours. Some of that was due to the fact that we did not realize that, except for a few turns, the route was not marked. We had no cue hseet holders and thus had to stop to pull out the cue sheets from our pockets and memorize the next few turns. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Will try to post some photos later. Didn't take too many because of the pace of the ride. The ones I did take don't do the ride justice.