Old 08-20-12, 12:03 PM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Used bike

Originally Posted by ginshun
Right now the wife just has an old (1970's? 60's maybe) Schwinn Collegiate that is fine for cruising, but she would like an actual road bike for a little harder rides and for fitness.
We want something entry level, but not crappy, so I was wondering if I can get some opinions on what cheaper bikes are a good value. Looking to spend maybe $400 tops.
I have a mt bike and a fixed gear conversion that I did, but don't even know where to start when it comes to road bikes.
Craigslist is your friend. Do you know her size accurately? Can you spot it in a road frame?

Yesterday morning, I bought a steel 1999 Bianchi Volpe (for my 22-year old daughter) in near mint condition for $200 after a craigslist bidding war broke out overnight. It has 3x8-speed Shimano RSX integrated brake shifters, RSX groupset throughout, cantilever brakes, and the seller had added new cyclocross tires. Full touring braze ons, including mid-fork front and rear rack, dual dropout eyelets, and triple bottle mounts. It was in her size, 52cm, and required immediate action to snag it. Great bike at half of your budget, and in a hot DC market.

Find her a mid-1980s mid-level Schwinn like a Super LeTour. Check out Fujis with mixte frames. There are options out there...