Old 08-22-12, 08:52 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3459 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
Originally Posted by black.damon
Thanks to everyone for the info. After looking around, and given that I'm not quite yet ready to pop for a nice GPS or mobile device, I think I'm just going to get a cheapy wired computer for my current mileage tracking needs and go for either an iPhone of an Android when my bank account rebounds from my LHT purchase. ... ...
I like to use both a basic cheap wired computer and a GPS.

One advantage of some of the dedicated GPS units is that many of them use AA batteries. I never worry about my GPS battery running out of power because I carry about a 5 day supply of rechargeable AA batteries and a recharger. (Also carry rechargeable AAA batteries for taillight, bike headlight and for camping headlamp.) If I am unable to recharge my batteries, I can buy some non-rechargeables until I camp near a power outlet or stay at a motel.

Pictured, note that I also use a heart rate monitor - think of it as my engine tachometer. But, the heart rate monitor is not really necessary.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20IMGP3703.jpg (84.6 KB, 18 views)