Old 08-23-12, 09:01 PM
vega2614

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bacciagalupe
I would start with the fit.

It doesn't matter if you're using 3 bikes with different setups. It's entirely possible that one, two or all three are off, and causing strain. It's possible your pedaling technique is wrong, and causing the issues. Or, if the one you ride the most is off, then you've already caused the injury, and even if the others are set up fine the act of pedaling is still aggravating it.

The doctor will probably tell you to stop cycling and running for a few weeks, while you ice the knee and/or work over your IT band. That might help; and the second you get back onto the improperly fit bike, you're going to irritate it all over again.

So, I'd start with the fitter. Use only the bike he set up for you, for two weeks. If that doesn't work, go back to the fitter and get him/her to adjust it. If that doesn't work, then go see the doc.
Thanks for the reply. I agree that pedaling in general is probably aggravating the previous injury. I've gone weeks without biking, felt great, and then it will come back randomly a few weeks after riding again. I probably am pedaling funky. I've always noticed my left foot doesn't seem to be as supported on the pedal. When I ride without clipless (both commuter bikes), I ride with my foot further forward on the pedal and seems to cause less pain.

I'd love to be able to only use the bike they fit for me for a while, but based on my commuting requirements I have to ride 3 bikes throughout the week.

I will still go to the orthopedist as I'd like to be able to run without pain as well (which has been a problem since well before I even cycled), but based on your advice I know I don't necessarily have to wait to see a bike fitter.

Is there anything in particular I should look for in choosing a fitter? I'm afraid I'll go to a bike shop and spend a lot, only to get subpar assessment. I just can't wrap my head around how a PT needs like 6-12 sessions, but a bike fitter can fix issues in one 2-3 h appointment.

Also, is it possible to apply what you've learned during the fitting of one bike to another? This is mainly my hesitation in doing so, as I'd like to learn what I'm doing wrong and what setup works right, rather than the fitter just doing some magic and sending me off on my way.