Bike Forums - View Single Post - Size of rental car when renting bikes on vacation?
Old 08-27-12, 10:26 AM
staehpj1 

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by prathmann View Post
I've found that just about any car can carry two bikes inside if you take off the bike wheels. One can fit in the trunk along with the wheels and the other in the back seat. My road bikes are both 60 cm frames and they fit easily in either position in a Toyota Corolla or similar size sedan. Have some plastic sheeting or other material to keep any grease or dirt off the car interior - and I try to do the bike loading out of sight of the rental agency to avoid any objections.
+1

That said I have sometimes found that I actually got either a free upgrade or even a cheaper choice for a larger vehicle. In all cases it was a one way rental so maybe they wanted to dump the bigger vehicles. Once when I went to pick up the car they said, "I can give you a minivan for the same price". It was great because my companion had a trailer and a ton of gear. Another time when I reserved the car on line the Jeep Liberty was actually cheaper than any of the smaller cars! That was nice too because I was going to be doing a couple days sightseeing with the car and I was able to sleep in the back of the Liberty also I was driving some bad dirt roads and the clearance was nice. In cases like that it might depend on how many miles you will be driving and what you will spend in gas.