View Single Post
Old 08-27-12, 03:19 PM
NZier

Bikes: 2011 Cannondale Carbon Synapse (Ultegra 6800 11-spd), 2009 Blue CXC, 1979 Univega Gran Turismo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thought I'd stop by and introduce myself as a new cyclist and a clyde. I recently got into cycling after my twin brother had some great success in losing some weight and enjoying his time on a bicycle. I'm 6'1'' and currently weigh ~240lbs. At my maximum I weighed ~270lbs and have managed to lose 30 pounds over the last several years through slight alterations in eating habits (mostly reduction of beer and pizza).

I purchased a 2011 Giant Defy 3 in early August, and rode ~74 miles last week. I am an ex-smoker, and have been cigarette free for about a month after a decade of smoking. I'm hoping that my cardiovascular health has not been mauled and can be rebuilt to ride my way to a more healthy me. I'll probably be an eternal Clydesdale, but would feel healthy around 200lbs.

I've had struggles making lifestyle changes, but at least I know they need to be made. I've quit smoking 3-4 times this year, always with relapse after a month. This time I feel it will stick due to appropriate replacement behaviors, exercise, and support systems. I'm hoping diet and exercise will come similarly as I attempt to trim the weight that I've put on over the last decade of inactivity.

I also wanted to mention that I've been reading posts here and find several members to be extremely inspirational in their biking towards fitness goals. It has also made me recognize where I am is a good starting point. Thanks to everybody here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Bike.jpg (97.9 KB, 29 views)