View Single Post
Old 08-28-12, 05:28 PM
Bearen61

Bikes: 1992 Giant ATX 760

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Introducing myself after lurking in the shadows for a couple months and making a few posts here and there. I'm a 51 year old, 325-330# guy, on Weight Watchers who had both hips replaced less than a year ago (10/17 and 10/31) I have been itching to get on my bike now for a few months (OK, at least 6), but the fear of the first fall is kind of keeping me from riding. I have a Giant ATX760, circa 1993-1994. I rode it twice when it was brand new, fell off it on a major highway the 2nd time, and then got way more involved with volleyball to have time to ride. Moved the bike with me to FL (from CT), and it sat in the garage here while my hips got worse and worse. Now I have a brand new, 16 year old bike waiting for me to ride!! I had it serviced and cleaned up back in December, and it sits here in my home office taunting me to ride it. I am going to try the 'grassy slope' method to start back on the bike again, just to get a feel for riding again before putting some miles on it around our area. We're pretty lucky here where I am in FL, we have bike paths on almost all of the roads in the village, and new park is opening in October that is 3 miles from the house. My goal is to be ready to ride to that park when it opens in October, the 1 year anniversary with my new internal hardware. I think I am worrying about that first fall too much, and I just need to get on the bike and go!