Old 08-28-12, 09:54 PM
Red Rider
Don't mince words

Bikes: '16 BH Quartz, 2017 Calfeecustom carbon tandem, Fuji D6 TT bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I started the Winters Road Race on Sat. as the domestique for my much stronger teammate. All I had to do was deliver her across the finish line. We had a plan.

Started behind the Jrs. who started with us but soon left us. I went out front, she was on my wheel, and the rest of them strung out in a long single line. I felt really good and had no problem pulling down the frontage road along the 505 (some of you have suffered, er, ridden this with us ). I pulled over 7 miles before my teammate came up -- she did some work, charged the rollers, and then moved the line from the right side to close to the middle of the lane. I started moving up on the right, since there was so much room; I quietly announced "on your right" and the young lady to whom I spoke started screaming "rider right! Rider right!" I was surprised at how she overreacted, so I moved in front of her and indicated that I was getting in line again. She told me she let me in because my bike was so pretty. Hey, whatever it takes.

I stayed mid-pack, my teammate was about 10 people ahead. We were pretty dense when we hit the rollers. Then a moto ref buzzed up to neutralize us so the P/1/2s could pass. Whoever was next to my teammate overreacted and leaned into her. My friend leaned back, forcing her to stay upright. Lady freaked out, pushed my friend hard as she tried to escape.

I heard the sickening sound of plastic on asphalt and I looked up to see 2 women close to the shoulder fall, and my 'mate fall into the middle of the road. Moto ref warned the men and they whirred through us safely. I was already off my bike and after the men went through, ran over to help my 'mate.

She'd hurt her back and had a foot trapped under the bike in the cleat; she couldn't move it w/o tweaking her back. Her front wheel was taco'd badly. I unshod her (both feet) and helped her into the SAG vehicle. I made sure she was OK before getting on my bike again.

My group was by then 20 mi. ahead. I rode 2 more miles to the neutral feed zone & helped c_gallagh hand out bottles to other teammates riding through, and didn't regret not finishing for a minute.

My teammate is sore but unbroken. She turned out on Sunday to the Vacaville crit to be part of the cheering squad. She's in good spirits and already planning a TTT in Sept. with us.