Old 08-28-12, 10:56 PM
vredstein

Bikes: '02 Lemond Buenos Aires, '98 Fuji Touring w/ Shimano Nexus premium, '06 Jamis Nova 853 cross frame set up as commuter, '03 Fuji Roubaix Pro 853 back up training bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by FBinNY
I've run into a few of those over the years, but if I'm needing lots of torque, I can't use the quick spin the crank method. It's one or the other, spin the cranks or use a cheater bar. But I must have a limited imagination because I can't see a situation where I'd be concerned with cheater bar/crank arm clearance, which is the point I was making in my prior post.
The first pic shows a wrench similar to the OP. Imagine a pipe fitted 3/4 of the way up the handle. No room. The second pic shows a dedicated Park wrench (an older one with a medium length, not the newer one which is quite a bit longer.) The thick part of the handle is close, and a cheater pipe would certainly be much thicker and closer.
I've also run into pedals that need a lot of torque to unfasten, probably more torque possible with a short handled wrench. Fortunately, I'm provided with a Park wrench with an sufficiently long handle.
After looking at the OP's wrench, it looks like it might be offset, unless that's a trick of the lighting in the pic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Pedalwrench1.jpg (32.2 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg
Pedalwrench2.jpg (25.7 KB, 24 views)

Last edited by vredstein; 08-28-12 at 11:17 PM.