View Single Post
Old 08-12-05, 01:40 PM
twbradford

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Santaria
I'd say that in today's day and age, this is not necessarily true at all.

I came from a definite mountain biker background and slowly but surely converted, step-by-step; first I was on an old school rigid frame mountain, then went to a hybrid, then a cafe-racer - now I'm looking into a touring/middle level racing bike (I also recently purchased a lower priced TT/triathalon bike).

Its all where your going in the sport/hobby/obsession really - I don't think the cost has anything to do with the percieved misconceptions.

For the record, my opinion is that its not a matter of being a snob, its a matter of being focused. 99% of the time if I'm out riding, I'm out to create my own zen, not dick around in low gear doing nothing - I'm out to ride, to enjoy and for the sound of the wind whistling through my helmet.

I could not agree more. This is what it is all about. While I don't think I am a snob...I am sure I appear so to those who wish to join me with their wide tire low gear 30 pounders. A colleague of mine found out I was going to ride over the weekend and she offered the company of herself, husband and 12 yr old daughter. To which I politely rejected the offer. She asked why. Then I explained the technical details about road riding. I am sure I looked like a snob to her.....

Mountain bikers don't have the same limitations as roadies thus why they can let their hair down. Roadies need to preserve their place on the road....a dark and forbidding place...a place of solitude...also a place of extreme danger for those not familiar with the aspects of being on a road.