pallen
Descends like a rock

Bikes: Scott Foil, Surly Pacer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by DropDeadFred
there will always be those who brave the roads regardless of the lane situation (me included) but it doesn't mean a city shouldn't do more to incorporate them, especially in road improvements
exactly my point. Most of us who are serious about cycling will prefer a good low-traffic road with nice wide lanes. Study after study continues to confirm, however, that the more cyclists are on the road, the safer cycling is for everyone. Bike lanes get people out on their bikes. They aren't perfect, but I don't think they add any significant danger either - its more of a trade-off of risks.

As for planning, I would love to see cities require pedestrian and bike considerations with all road improvements. If you widen a road, or build or improve a big freeway, think about how cyclists are going to get across that thing and incorporate that into the planning. Around here, freeways are huge barriers to cycling. Finding a way across a freeway can be the greatest challenge of the ride. The same goes for river crossings and other natural or man-made obstacles to getting around by non-automobile means.