View Single Post
Old 08-31-12, 07:31 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
One situation where a compact crankset really shines is on rolling routes where flat sections are rare or nonexistent.

If 45% of the route is climbing in the 2 to 15% range and the other 55% of the route is flat or descending, the ability stay on one-chainring-or-the-other is sustainable. The 50t chainring works well on flat sections or sections with sustained descents. The 34t chainring is only usefull when climbing.

When on flat sections and holding a speed in the 19 to 24 mph range, the 34t chainring is inadequate and the 50t is better. However, any short climb of even 3% requires the switch down to the 34t. If the climb is short, the switch back to the 50t comes along soon.

The Compact crankset are the least usefull of all crankset options on flat routes. I'd rather have a single chainring in the 44 to 48 range on a flat route than to use a compact.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 09-02-12 at 07:12 AM.