View Single Post
Old 08-31-12, 09:24 PM
GrandaddyBiker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bike for Amtrak Train

Does anyone make a folding bike that will fold small enough to go on an Amtrak train as a Carry-On baggage? The reason I am asking is there are some stations that do not have checked baggage service. The size limit for Carry-On is 28” x 22” x 11” (71 x 56 x 28 cm).

I know that the selling point of some folding bikes is that they can be folded in 15 seconds. I do not care about that. If I was in that big of a hurry I would not be using a bike. Once I get off that train I don’t care if it takes 10 sec or 10 minutes to get the bike ready to ride. So I was thinking if I took the wheels off before I folded it that would get the folded size down some. They allow 2 carry-on bags of the size I mentioned. Maybe the wheels could go in a separate bag.

I have never built a frame but I believe I could. My dad taught me to weld when I was a teenager and that was long, long ago. If they don’t sell a bike that will fold that small maybe I could make one. Give me a good welder and I’ll fix anything but the crack of dawn.