Old 09-03-12, 08:30 AM
delacrank
Delacrank

Bikes: Bianchi Pista, Road Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
nah, my saddle height was a little low but i fixed it, it was only low by like 5 mm. Yeah, it kind of is a recovery issue because I had stopped messaging for about 6 months, then went into food delivery (on a bike) to build up to it again. Problem was food delivery was like barely 7 miles a day with breaks in between while the messaging job is an easy 30 - 35 miles with no breaks at all. I do stretch my quads, hamstrings and IT band at least 4 - 5 times during work, further more I am properly hydrated during the day as I am always drinking water, and i eat a lot of food too.

I think the problem was trying to ride the way i rode when i last stopped messaging ( back then i worked for a year and a half for three companies so my legs were stronger ). It has taken a toll on my knees and even thou my legs are getting like giant, my knees were like swelling up and i was getting to the point of wondering if i made the right choice in either riding fixed or just riding a bike every day again.

Recently, i spoke to this guy at a bike shop who has been a bike messenger for 10 years and he told me he rides a chain 67 inches long as appose to my 77 inch chain. He was also bragging to me that he took 7th in monster track ( not sure how much of an accomplishment that is thou ), he was trying to explain to me that you can reach high speeds on lower ratios because on higher ratios you spend too much energy trying to turn the pedals so over a longer period of time you won't be maintaining your average speed especially when you have to hit hills.

I have decided to change my ratio from 46/16 (77 inch) to 46/18 (69 inch). As for the comment about clip-less pedals, i tried that before and the shimano spd pedals i got were too narrow forcing my legs closer to the frame than necessary (Q factor), also i realized that they made my body uncomfortable as the adjustment over the ball of the foot is critical and can really **** up your knees. (i would need to spend at least 120 dollars to get that **** fitting for sure). Right now i just ride without clips or straps, however i'm thinking of getting some nice clips.

The other problem with clip-less pedals is that i tried to rock these Vans BMX shoes which looked really cool, but then i learned later that because they didn't have carbon fiber support that they were really bad for riding as well as walking (even the chromes are the same ****). So i would probably have to spend close to 300 dollars to buy new pedals and shoes an investment that's not worth it right now, but i do agree with you about the pedal strokes how they can become smoother.