Old 09-04-12, 04:58 PM
Mainframeguy
Eclecticaleliptic!

Bikes: Cannondale MT1000 (1986 "birthday" for him!) Dawes Giro 500 (also 80's) Ridgeback Voyager (2010/11 model)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dawes 80's vintage Giro 500 - any opinions welcome, esp. owners of same/similar

After a wait of about four years to accumulate funds and prompted by finally getting fed up with riding the Raleigh Airlite I had settled for despite it's being a good 2" too large in the frame (it was such a bargain I couldn't resist and knew no better at the time)....

I have finally managed to secure myself a new road ride (my everyday is a tourer)...

Hopefully the Ebay listing still comes up from this link

I parted with £225 on this, which was my maximum bid, and (hopefully, not collecting until weekend so as yet unseen, apart from listing) this is a snip because seller advises it has extremely low mileage....

I'm pretty thrilled but all attempts to learn more about the specifics have turned up pretty much a blank via google at least, main reason being the name "Giro 500" remains current for the top end Dawes road bike.

I have always regretted the sale of my Dawes Galaxy about 35 years ago.... I am hoping this will put the world to rights with my bicycle karma!

But I am nervous - not sure I could stand it to have to start saving up again (and waiting) for a sweet road ride....

All opinions welcome - both specific to the bike or in general to my experience....