View Single Post
Old 09-05-12, 07:15 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Although there are a lot of hard-core, loaded expedition-style tourers on this forum, there are others who mostly ride shorter distance and/or supported tours. For me, touring is traveling or getting away from it all on a bike. It doesn't have to be an expedition loaded down with panniers. I ride at least one-supported tour every year as well as several weekend trips. My bike isn't loaded down with gear but I am traveling, enjoying the scenery and visiting new places. I have taken only one trip so far with loaded panniers, although I do plan to ride some more. However, I have been riding supported and weekend tours with light loads for many years and consider that touring every bit as much as the loaded style. I have ridden multiple day trips in Wisconsin, Ohio, Indiana, Virginia, Georgia and North Carolina -- and it's a great way to travel and see new places, regardless of whether you are riding supported or loaded with gear.