View Single Post
Old 09-05-12, 10:14 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by MichaelW
Got a week of free time and all the gear but I really don't want all the faff of packing, flying, prepping then pacing myself to get within airport range after only a couple of days riding. Just thinking about the logistics was making me jaded. I normally try to fit in at least 10 days of riding on a tour with flights, this would be 4-5 at the most.

Looking around at alternatives, I did a mini cycle tour of my county this summer but I've always fancied a canoe tour on our local national park (Norfolk Broads) . A company hires out canoes and has some campsites on local waterways (a large national park of lakes, marshes and rivers). There are few waterside campsites and stealth camping is very tricky (+ illegal + daily ranger patrols).

I'm really looking forward to spending a few days on the water in a canoe.

Does anyone else put their bike away on occasion and try something different?
Yes, in the last couple years I have actually ridden very little when not on tour. For example I did the Pacific coast last September (Seattle to San Luis Obispo), the Southern Tier (Sandiego to Pensacola) last winter, and did a Colorado tour recently all with little to no riding in between other than some mountain biking this summer. I do a lot of trail running and some hiking and in winter maybe snowshoe running.

When I retire (probably in 8 months or so) I may do a car tour with a lot of hiking, some mountain biking, some trail running, and some high pointing.