Thread: Puch Project.
View Single Post
Old 09-05-12, 11:23 AM
ginno

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So apologies for bringing back this thread from the dead, but I've finally got the internet so can pop some pics up....

I've done bits and bobs on it and all thats left is getting the brake cables and tubing sorted, which are ordered and on their way.

As I mentioned before my aim has pretty much just been to get this running for as little as possible, which was greatly helped by my friend giving me a handful of his spares for £10. So thats pedals, brake levers and brakes. Remember I paid £30 for what you see in the image at the top of this thread.

Its a shame about the areas of chipped paint which pop up here and there on the frame, but again, its a cheapo thing so I guess I'll keep an eye out for some touch up paint whilst I'm out.

One of the first things I did was attempt to clean up the rims, which went pretty well, they were really grubby when it arrived. The tyres and tubes were rotting and mouldy so I replaced them, adding new rim tape and these 'Michelin classic' tyres which I thought suited it pretty well.

I had a bit of a dilema with buying the gear shifters after looking for ages they were all pretty expensive, so i decided to go full on budget build and got this ugly shimano set for £8...

As I say I have tubing for the gear cables and brake cables on the way, (black which should look pretty nice). I have a couple of questions about fixing that up; looking at the brake levers am I right in thinking that I cant hide the cable beneath the handlebar grip? I've seen them loop up and cross over before being threaded through the guides on my frame... Is there a certain way this is usually done? And also the guides on the frame have one side with a large opening and one that will just fit the inner cable through... Is it regular that the cabling goes from being exposed to covered within tubing?

Cheers, Ginno.