View Single Post
Old 09-05-12, 04:32 PM
welshTerrier2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Nice quickie spin today through Ashland and Hopkinton after the rain stopped. The roads were covered with small tree branches, sand and gravel, wet leaves and stones. I'm not used to riding on anything but dry roads so I dialed it back a little. I was trying out a new route today. In Hopkinton, I took a right off Front St onto Ash St and rode it all the way to Hopkinton Center. It's not too steep but it was a good hill workout nevertheless.

I'm still training for the ALS Charity ride this Sunday. I've been debating between the 50 and the 70 but now I'm leaning towards the 70. The only thing is, though, there is a 60% chance of rain. Other than the usual advice about braking early and staying dry, does anyone have any "riding in the rain" tips? One article I read suggested I put fenders on my bike. Not gonna happen.

It's not clear whether they'll hold the ride rain or shine. There's no mention of a rain date in the literature. I just wonder about the risks for a ride like this. I'm sure there will be plenty of serious riders but there will also be a mom, pop and the kiddies component. I'm sure regular commuters can handle it; I'm not sure about the more casual riders.

I'm thinking about going out tomorrow to ride the 50 mile route. The 70 is a combination of most of the 25 mile route and the 50. Is this too much distance three days before the event? I'm thinking three days should be sufficient to fully recover. It's not a race and I'm more interested in learning the route tomorrow than pushing for a fast time.

Oh, and, loved those pictures from Italy.