View Single Post
Old 09-10-12, 01:38 PM
ditchbanker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thought I lived in a boring bicycle area

I've spent most of my 29 years living in my city of 85,000. When I started riding at the beginning of Summer, I thought that commuting would be my best riding. The area surrounding town is agricultural and, based on my experiences in a car or on a motorcycle, flat. Speed limits are pretty high and shoulders very narrow. I figured riding out there would be dull and dangerous.

Yesterday we went on a ride through the county to a winery about 7 miles away and discovered just how wrong I was. What looks flat and boring at 50 mph is filled with lots of small fairly mild hills and lots to see and smell. Mint fields, a mile in a narrow corridor of tall corn, small farm houses that I barely noticed cruising along at the speed limit. Combine that with half a glass of delicious local wine at the destination and a nice mild ride back home and I had a much better time than I would have expected.

I just wanted to share in case anyone else thinks they live in a bike-dull location. You might be wrong. I was and am looking forward to lots of future rides in the county.