Old 09-10-12, 08:49 PM
Noize4

Bikes: ‘16 Domane 4.6 Disc, ‘17 Bianchi Impulso S-Sport, ‘12 Giant Escape 0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Need help with bike shoes

All my adult life I've worn size 12 shoes. Apparently that rule doesn't apply to bike shoes. I got some Shimano 520s and Bontrager Race Mtn shoes, and my right foot was killing me. Shoe seemed too narrow. I pulled the insert, but that took me from one hot spot to two, so I decided to wear the shoes to work and around the house.

This was strange, because the right shoe doesn't cause pain walking, but it sure does riding. I sold the 520s and went to eggbeater in case it was the pedal. The lightweight, recessed cleats, and exit are way better, but the pain in my right foot remains. I tried to Craigslist them, but apparently nobody wants a slightly used shoe.

I need some shoes that fit, and this time I'm bringing my bike and telling the LBS I'm taking them on a ride before throwing my money away again. I like the eggbeater, but if I would be served much better with a road pedal, I can still swap them.

I get heckled by everyone about flat pedals, but dang they are convenient! There is a lot of traffic where I ride, and I have to unclip a lot. I don't feel any faster or less tired riding clipless, but maybe I would if the shoes weren't utter crap.

Can you recommend me some shoes that are good that won't break the bank? Is there real shame riding flat pedals with normal tennis shoes, or am I seriously missing the boat if I don't stay clipless?

I know this type of thread is posted a lot, and I'm sorry for that. I just have been dealing with this for a couple of weeks and want a good solution.

Thank you.