View Single Post
Old 09-11-12, 05:31 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4322 Post(s)
Liked 1,397 Times in 975 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Bending the metal shouldn't be a concern. A broken frame is likely only to be cracked. If the bike is a bent and broken as in the link I posted, it would be more prudent to catch a train.
Sheesh. It's easy to image scenarios where a frame can't be repaired. No one is talking about that.

As for the number of places that might do a permanent fix, I doubt that there are many who would attempt to repair a production touring bike like the LHT. It would just cost more than a new frame. These guys say that "
Sheesh. No one is making this argument!

I said that it doesn't make sense to repair a cheap frame unless it was the only option available to you!
This is so obvious that it shouldn't need to be said (but here are you arguing that people are thinking it).

Keep in mind that we are talking about emergency repairs in the middle of nowhere!

One advantage of the LHT is that it is cheap and easy to replace. Heck, it's cheap enough that it wouldn't be out of the question to have another frame on hand (if you were worried about breaking the frame).

The fact that there are many places that fix steel frames (and not many, it seems, that will fix AL) is some indication that it's more practical to fix steel than AL frames.

They go on to say that titanium and aluminum frames might be a better candidate.
They don't say why except beyond the cost of the frame.

And it still isn't anywhere as likely to get a Ti or AL frame repaired in the middle of nowhere (which is what we are talking about here).

Last edited by njkayaker; 09-11-12 at 06:07 PM.